Thursday, December 14, 2006

pOeTrY mEmE

tagged by secret mint --

*The first poem I remember reading was...

Emily Dickinson's "I'm nobody/ who are you"

*I was forced to memorize numerous poems in school and...

I was not forced to memorize "poems" but I went to Catholic school for grades 1-3.5 (we moved mid-year) so I had to learn prayers like "Hail Mary" and "Our Father" and all sorts of songs for mass.

I also had to learn monologues from R&J, Macbeth, Hamlet, and JC in High School.


*I read poetry because...

I hate sentences. At least today. I much prefer scattered text and line breaks to sentences and paragraphs. The sentence makes me feel uncomfortable and like I am waiting for something to be over.

Okay. I don't hate the sentence. But I do like broken things. And music. And shapes. some of the reasons I read poetry.

*A poem I'm likely to think about when asked about a favorite poem...

ED's "My life had stood -- a loaded gun --"

*I write poetry, but...

I watch lots of tv and read trashy magazines.


*My experience with reading poetry differs from my experience with reading other types of literature...

I guess I do it in smaller, more frequent doses.

*I find poetry...

lately I'm really into random marks made by waves or wind. also graffiti. and crossword puzzles.

*The last time I heard poetry...

I listened to ghostface killah today on the grammaphone mp3 blog

*I think poetry is like...

an undoing

or memorizing backwards

or a shovel that isn't big enough

1 comment:

Jessica Smith said...

yay-- i love my life had stood a loaded gun
i want to do this too

is this real?