Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Reading and Catharsis

Books often make me cry. This has always been true. When I was a kid, I cried for days after reading Where the Red Fern Grows. I cried after reading Bridge to Terrabithia. I cried after reading The Red Pony. I cried after reading Death Be Not Proud. I cried after reading Flowers for Algernon. And books continue to make me cry. I often read these tear-jerkers in the same way: I read them straight through, without much stopping, often staying up all night. Then I think about the book obsessively for two or three days. Then I go back to "normal." Sometimes, such as when I'm on break during summer vacation, I will read many books that make me cry back-to-back. I do not feel lonely, only quiet, still, like I'm resting. Like I'm taking a big breath before I go under.

No comments:

is this real?